Friday, January 8, 2010

Dessert Wine - Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Port


N
othing like ending a long work week with a perfect glass of dessert wine. I was
introduced by a good friend of mine to ports only a couple of years ago. It didn't really wow me at first but as soon as I purchased my first bottle, I was hooked! I've tried other makes and types but I still go back to my trusty Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Port.

I don't consider myself a wine connoisseur but I do know what good taste is. I've
recommended this port to family and friends and they all keep coming back for more. It's not considered an expensive wine but at $40 US, I don't recommend chugging it down at one sitting (although I have been tempted to many times).

The hardest part is to describe how this tastes like: it is sweet but not too sweet but has a little thicker consistency than your average red wine. It has a rich and balanced flavorful smell with aromas of raisins, peaches, honey, nuts, mocha and oak. Perfect as a dessert wine at the end of a meal or by itself.
It also comes in a 10 year bottle which isn't as good, and a 40 year one that is way too expensive.

Give this one a try! You won't regret it. Or you can buy a bottle or two for me!

Category: Port
Region:
Douro Valley, Portugal
Producer: Taylor Fladgate
Volume: 750ml
Alcohol: 20%
Price: $40US / $65CAD

Serving suggestions:
It is an excellent accompaniment to many deserts. It combines well with flavours of figs, almonds and caramel. It is an excellent compliment for a crème brulée or a plate of wild strawberries. It may also be appreciated on its own, at the end of the meal, with walnuts or dried fruit.



Make sure to enjoy it the right way with a Riedel Vinum Port Glass ($38US for a set of 2) to take advantage of its full taste and aroma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean!